The exponential growth in data traffic with the need to rationalize Capex / Opex compels Telcos to look at options that allow them to leverage existing network infrastructure while catering to the bandwidth demands seamlessly. DWDM technology offers carriers enough promise to integrate their existing legacy networks and IP based network to deliver a transparent framework that can efficiently handle diverse traffic types while providing scalable options to enhance the network throughput.
- Justify the rationale for DWDM networks.
- Define optical transmission challenges, specify the non-linearities that impact DWDM transmission and list mitigation techniques.
- Describe the ITU-T channel grid for CWDM and DWDM.
- Step through the building blocks of a DWDM network.
- List the different configurations for DWDM networks.
- Select appropriate fibers for DWDM networks.
- Evaluate amplifiers, lasers and detectors based on performance requirements.
- Design optical links based on power budget, dispersion and OSNR.
- Identify test measurement equipment and the measured parameters in DWDM systems.
This course primarily intended for technical personnel involved in the planning, design, management or support of optical networks.
Introduction to DWDM
- What is WDM?
- WDM classification
- WDM evolution
- WDM standards
- ITU-T Optical transmission bands capacity
- Optical attenuation
- Optical dispersion
- Non linearities
- Self-phase modulation
- Cross phase modulation
- 4 wave mixing
- Stimulated Raman scattering
- Stimulated Brillouin scattering
- DWDM Transmission Challenges
DWDM Network Elements
- Optical transmitters and receivers
- Optical amplifiers
- Fabry Perot Amplifiers (FPA)
- Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifiers (EDFA)
- Distributed Raman Amplifiers (DRA)
- Add Drop Multiplexers
- OADM, ROADM, eROADM
- Dispersion compensation modules (DCM)
- Dispersion slope compensation modules (DSCM)
- Optical combiners, switches and translators
- Wavelength selective switch (WSS)
DWDM Link Design
- DWDM Network topologies
- Optical link budget
- Eye diagram
- Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR)
- PMD meter
- Optical power meter
- Optical spectrum analyse