As Radio Access Networks evolve, operators have commenced deploying the 5G Next Generation RAN (NG-RAN). 5G NG-RAN introduces a split architecture that impacts how operators design and deploy the 5G RAN network functions and the related transport network and fiber connectivity. This training presents an overview of 5G RAN and gNB Split architecture, concepts of virtualization in RAN, role of RU, gNB-DU and gNB-CU and their connectivity of CPRI, eCPRI and Ethernet.
- Step through the evolution of 4G LTE RAN to C-RAN, Virtualized RAN (V-RAN) and Open RAN (O-RAN)
- Sketch architecture of 5G NG-RAN and split architecture
- Sketch the connectivity of 4G eNB and 5G gNB.
- Highlight the benefits of virtualization in RAN and potential use cases of virtualization
- Discuss the use of CPRI/eCPRI and Ethernet for the fronthaul and backhaul networks
- Sketch Option 7-2x interface defined by ORAN and identify its benefits
On completion of the course, participants will have acquired a technical understanding of 5G RAN deployment and connectivity.
This course targets Engineers and Managers working on Radio Access Network and Backhaul Networks.
Managers, Engineers, and Technicians involved in the planning, deployment and maintenance of mobile networks
RAN evolution to 5G
- 5G service and performance requirements
- Control and User plane separation
- Data rate and distance requirements
5G NG-RAN Architecture
- 5G NG-RAN: CU and DU
- Virtualization in 5G RAN
- Interfaces and Protocols of 5G RAN
- Option 7-2x interface
- Industry Update
- XRAN and ORAN initiatives
Transport in 5G RAN
- Fronthaul and backhaul
- Distance and Bandwidth requirements on fronthaul
- CPRI, eCPRI, and Ethernet in Access Transport Network
- Transport connectivity for 5G NG-RAN
- Connectivity between 4G & 5G